Mother's Day is soon approaching and we want to make sure that you take time to acknowledge Birthmother's Day on that special weekend. Birthmother's Day falls on the Saturday before Mother's Day - May 8, 2010 - and should be a time that you pause to let birthmother's know how special they are to your family. This time of year can be difficult for birthmothers, if nobody takes the time to recognize the sacrifice of love that they have made for the child. Don't let this date pass you by, start planning now!
There are many, creative ways that you can let her know that she is special. The key is to plan now and get it there on time, BEFORE May 8th so she knows that she is not forgotten. This day is more about the emotional and sentimental value, than the monetary value. Here are some suggestions that you may consider:
- Create a photo greeting card of the child on a site such as Snapfish or Shutterfly with a personalized message
- Frame a piece of artwork that the child has created for the birthmother in a simple frame to showcase the creation (fingerpainting, drawing, colored picture, etc.)
- For young children, send handprints or footprints of the child framed, in clay, on a card, etc. I have seen some adoptive families get really creative with this and send a piece of artwork with "handprint" flowers, etc. You can find some ideas at Handprint Craft, Baby Handprint Crafts, Enchanted Learning, and more available by doing a quick search!
- Arrange to have flowers delivered to her on May 8th (if you have a mediated adoption through FLS, this can usually be arranged by calling Rose Marie in our office)
- Have a mug, necklace, keychain, etc. personalized with a photo of the child
- Consider sending a recordable card from Hallmark with a simple message recorded by the child (this can be especially cute for those little tikes who are just learning to talk!).
- If you are in close proximity to one another, plan a picnic at a local park or playground to spend some time together and take photos.
- Set up a time to have professional pictures taken with your family and the birthmother in the next month - purchase one of her favorite proofs following the session. If you are in the Lynchburg area, check out Simple Reflections Photographic Art who have an FLS Adoption Package.