Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Just Add 1 Social Worker, 1 Protein Shake, and a Conversation with God


Some days I feel so very inadequate for my job, the challenges that arise daily, and the position in which God has placed me.  This is one of those days that I drove to work drinking my protein shake and talking to the Lord as is my normal morning routine (if you ever pass me in the morning, you can sometimes even find me talking out loud to Him!).  The conversation, on my end, went something like this:

"Really, Lord, what can I do or say to ease the anxiety of waiting for prospective adoptive families or soften the grief of a birth parent's heart who is wrestling with an adoption decision?  Are you sure that this is where you want me? I feel like I have nothing to offer that can make these life situations any easier.  What can I say or do to show people that I care, but can't take this burden from them?" 

And then we met for devotions.  Translation:  And then God gave me His side of our conversation.

Our guest this morning was Rhonda, a volunteer from our local pregnancy center (Blue Ridge Pregnancy Center - Lynchburg, Virginia) who shared very timely insights from God's word for all of us who are "in the trenches" on a daily basis.  She confirmed for me that there is nothing I can say to impact the futures of the folks with whom I work - unless I give them Jesus.

I realize that each day I make mistakes, stumble, may not say the right thing and may not always be perceived in the way that I have intended.  But, if I start the day with the Lord, He can take my weakness - and use me - if I allow myself to become His vessel.

My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.  2 Corinthians 12:9

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.  Matthew 11:28-30

Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.  Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails